Friday, April 8, 2011

Local news

Bellingham boy falls out of 3rd story window

I was scrolling through my twitter feed and I came across this article. I don't watch the news at night anymore, because I find it quite depressing. I realize that ignorance is NOT bliss. I read reputable new websites, and try to stay in the loop without being bombarded with the various sensational journalism that has become the evening news.

At any rate, I came across this article and it upset me on many levels. First of all, the fact that a mother could allow her home to be so incredibly unsafe is really crazy to me. I'm not a huge believer in over-baby-proofing. As a matter of fact, most Moms would probably be appalled at the lack of baby-proofing in my home. I have gates, and outlet covers, and that's about it. The cabinets are unlocked, but anything hazardous is out of reach. I believe in the power of "no". But if I lived on the 3rd floor, I'd be damn sure that my child was not near the windows. I grew up on the 2nd floor, and my parents were very careful to arrange furniture so that we couldn't access the windows.

Now, I have no idea how this family's house was set up, but I have to assume that the child climbed up on something in order to push the screen out of the window. Where was the mother during this? I'd have some sympathy if the answer was something reasonable. I've come into a room after a quick bathroom trip, and found Lucas in varying degrees of unsafe behavior. If that had been the case, I would feel awful for an unfortunate accident. However this mother claims she was just "not paying attention" and "had been drinking" and "has a drinking problem". She even goes so far as to tell the responding police officers that she probably should not have custody of the child.

Well... what the fuck are you doing? I don't understand how someone can deem themselves unfit as a parent, yet maintain custody of the child anyway. That is a tragedy waiting to happen. I have no idea how to go about giving up custody of a child. I have no idea what her family situation is. I just don't understand. I would walk to the ends of the Earth for my child. I would throw myself out a 3rd story window if it meant he would have a better life. I can't imagine being in such a dark place that alcohol would take precedence over my child. I can't imagine having an addiction so strong that I could endanger my child. I want to be mad, but I can't be mad. I'm just really upset by this whole story.

I feel just plain awful for this child. Not only did he fall out of a 3rd story window, but now he will likely be taken from his mother. Of course this is for his own good, but he's only 3 years old and he won't understand. He'll blame himself. The psychological implications of this incident are huge for this little boy, and all because of his mother's addiction. So upsetting. I hope this little boy ends up in a situation where he is surrounded by such a great amount of love, support, and attention that he grows up happy and well adjusted. I will keep him in my thoughts, and I hope it all works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment