Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving was a blast, aside from my Dad's decision to hook up a television in the dining room. I'm not super traditional, but TV at dinner is a bit much for me. No big deal, it was a good time. I didn't spend much time visiting, due to some tension in the family lately, but I put 100% of my effort into being cordial and releasing my frustration by helping clean up.

We went from my parents' house to John's Mémère's house in Woonsocket. We visited with Mémère, John's Mom & Step-father, and Aunt Lorraine. We enjoyed a few stories about Claudette's childhood that gave us all a good laugh. Turns out, John definitely inherited his propensity for accidents.

Then we headed to John's "Aunt" (cousin) Nancy's house. Her daughter, Jeanne Marie and her boyfriend, Mark, where home from CA for the holiday. It was great to spend time with them, along with John's father and Uncle Louie. Nancy & John (sr) grew up in the same home, so they are more like brother and sister than cousins. They were hysterical. Listening to them reminisce about their parents, and old times growing up, is my favorite way to spend an evening. Nancy's mother, Mary, and John's mother, Santina, were sisters. And man, the stories are just amazing. So funny.

We talked a lot about family research, and genealogy and John's Dad wants to pay for my Ancestry.com subscription when I'm ready to start digging in. I'm so excited. I was worried at first about stepping on Karla's toes, as I know she's already begun some research on her own, but I'm coming from a completely different place. I think we have different motives in our research. I'm just interested in the family structure, and learning what I can. She is interested more in the history and heritage of the family. As someone that is marrying into this family with such strong heritage and character, I am just eager to understand. I want to piece it together, and this is something I'd like to do myself. I hope she doesn't get upset, but this isn't really about her. It's about me. As selfish as it sounds, this is something I need to do for myself.

Thanksgiving was followed by Morgan's shower. I had a great time, and she was gracious enough to let me shoot some photos. I have NO idea what I'm doing, still. It was a lot of fun to play with the settings and try to figure it out. There were a few "keepers" among a slew of terrible blurry shots, but the whole experience has definitely renewed my love of photography and makes me want to learn some more. I'm going to attempt to read the exposure book that Heather lent me ages ago. Auntie Kim (not my aunt... actually not John's either but thats what I call her), asked me to take some photos of her and her son. I'm honored, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm feeling some pressure. Capturing the love between mother & son is a heavy task. And let me tell you, she ADORES her son. He is her sun & moon. He is her heartbeat. I just want to do justice to their amazing bond. I've been browsing the web for photos that I find inspirational. I'm hoping to get a vision soon because right now my mind is being clouded by cheesy photos. I don't want to do the "khaki's & white top, barefooted" photos. I know those are what some people want, and to each their own. But I don't think those super "typical" photos are my style, or Auntie Kim's. I guess we'll see.

I worried at first that Keri would feel like I was stepping on her toes, but I need to stop worrying about everyone else's feelings all the time. I was interested in Photography long before John & I even started dating. Granted I didn't invest much money in a camera or anything until we'd been together a while, but that was a financial decision. I'm going to do what makes me happy, and if someone gets upset then we can work it out. Families should support each other, in my opinion. I'm not "stealing business" from anyone. I'm just exploring a hobby and there is nothing wrong with that. I come from a family of hobby photographers. It's in my blood.

Looks like I'll be working on my New Year's resolution list early this year... Another year, another list.

No comments:

Post a Comment