Saturday, June 4, 2011

Trying new things

John and I have the ongoing debate about mywillingness to try new things. I often have an "I can't do that" attitude about things that I've never even tried, or haven't done since I was a child.

Yesterday, for example, I was SO proud of myself because I jumped a fence for the first time since I was fairly young. It's been at least 15 years. I strutted up to John when he came home, chest full of pride and said "Guess what I did today? I jumped the fence next door to the Verizon lot to take pictures". He was less than impressed, but I was so proud.

Well, John has recently started drawing again. He's a very talented artist, at least in my opinion. We have his very first oil painting from high school proudly displayed in our kitchen. It matches the decor perfectly. We also have various pottery/ceramic creations around the house. Music seems to have been his art form of choice lately, but he's recently been very interested in drawing traditional american tattoo flash using colored pencils. (See: Mike Malone).

He keeps encouraging me to try my hand at drawing. I've never been a great artist. I can read music, and play it on a violin, but I have zero creativity. I can't pick my violin and just play something. It's just not in me. I never really tried drawing or painting. Once the manditory art classes were over, I was done with art. I didn't feel like I was talented enough to continue my art education. Well, that and my schedule was full in high school with music classes. You see, in my high school you couldn't be a music student and an art student. There just wasn't enough time, and you were forced to make a choice.

Well today, I decided I was going to give drawing a try. I tore a piece of paper out of John's spiral-bound sketch pad (that way he'd never be able to see the horrible creation). I found his old sets of Prismacolors, because I wouldn't dare use the new set we just bought. Then he might know that I tried, and ask to see my attempt. (Sensing a pattern of insecurity here?).

Well I got my supplies, and took out some tattoo reference books. I found an owl and decided to give it a go. I'm not going to lie. I'm pretty impressed with myself. I mean, it's not perfect, and I definitely need to practice shading and blending, but I'm proud. Not only did I try something new, I wasn't terrible at it. I'm so proud that I'm even going to frame it, (using a frame I just happened to snag at a yard sale for .75 today!) and give it to John for Father's Day.

To most that sounds like a SUPER lame Father's Day gift. To John, it will certainly mean something. It will mean that he inspires me to move out of my comfort zone. It will mean that I trust him completely to share something that makes me insecure. It will mean that I love him, and everything he does for this family. Even when it's something as simple as encouraging me to try new things. That's what makes him a great Dad and husband. He doesn't have ridiculous expectations, and he doesn't push. He just encourages and supports. I love him, and I'm glad he is the father of my child(ren.... someday).


Ok so that's a crappy cell phone photo, but do you think I should leave the frame that tarnished gold? Or paint it? I was originally going to paint it black but I kinda like the tarnished look...?

No comments:

Post a Comment