Sunday, June 27, 2010

This may seem silly...

There is no worse feeling in the world than having a sick child. I realize that in the grand scheme of things, a terrible ear infection accompanied by a terrible cough & runny nose is not teh end of the universe. However, in this moment, I feel completely helpless. There is nothing I can do to help the poor little guy, aside from giving him his antibiotics, and keeping eye on his temp/pain and medicating accordingly. I'm also not a fan of over-medicating children, so I only give ibuprofen/acetaminophen when I feel its absolutely necessary. I hate this feeling. He coughs until he gags as he falls asleep and I just want to cry. I want to snuggle him and rock him to sleep, but he won't fall asleep that way. He just gazes into my eyes, for hours. Which I'd much rather, but I know he needs rest and sleep to beat this infection. This is one of those times where you would give your right arm to trade places with your child; to take away their pain and absorb it yourself. I'd go through the pain of labor every single day in lieu of him having any kind of pain. It will be a long night for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment