Sunday, July 10, 2011

Not sure how I feel about this

Male Breastfeeding

If you're like me, you've never even considered the possibility. In fact, at first glance, I'm immediately reminded of that scene in Meet the Parents, when Ben Stiller's character says "You can milk anything with nipples" to which Robert DeNiro's character replies "I've got nipples, Greg. Can you milk me?"

Well apparently that just may be possible. I'm not sure where I stand on the issue. Part of me feels defensive, and doesn't like the idea. I have always seen breastfeeding as a transitional period (FOR ME!) from having a child relying 100% on my body for sustenance, to relying simply on my breast and care taking, to eventually being about to feed oneself. To share that bonding experience, a very intimate bonding experience, with someone else makes me nervous.

But then I think... How selfish of me! I mean, part of the reason I stopped breast feeding was that I wasn't producing enough to keep up, and when I pumped I'd barely produce enough to bottle feed, and I felt guilty that John hadn't had the opportunity to feed his first child in the beginning weeks of his life. What if he could have breast fed to help me supplement? Wouldn't that have solved both problems? Well of course it would have, but does that mean I'd want John to breastfeed? I don't think so. Something about it is uncomfortable. I doubt that he'd even consider it. I suppose if it did interest him it would be something I would take into careful consideration. Like any other parenting decision, we'd have to weigh the pros and cons and make a decision together.  The whole thing has be pretty baffled, I must say.

How about you? What do you think about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment