Friday, February 5, 2010

Some downtime. 10:30 on a Friday night. What am I doing?

Well, if this was last year, I was probably... hmmm... PREGNANT! This was around the time of year of the cupcake party @ Heather's apt, and oh I had an ultrasound this time last year.
The year before... that was probably filled with... who the hell knows. Partying, possibly? At that point Heather was still in Milford, so I most likely did something with her.
Life is different now. It's Friday night. I'm at home. In bed. Alone. -- The baby is asleep, but he may or maynot wake up in the next hour or so for his last bottle. In which case, I'll be up until at least 1am. You see, when babies get sick, apparently there is NO such thing as a schedule.
Lucas had to go to the ER last week. Horrible. He had double ear infections & strep. Now his last dose of that medicine/antibiotic was on Tuesday. But on Thursday he was all weird again. Cranky, grumpy, just not himself. So I took him to his pediatrician just to be sure. (Again, one of those things I used to laugh at other mom's for doing... No actual symptoms, but RUN TO THE DR, QUICK!) -- Well, turns out Mommy instincts are in fact a reality. The antibiotic regimen he was on was strong enough to take care of hte strep and one ear, but the other ear was still mildy infected so he's on a different, slightly stronger, antibiotic. Luckily this is only once daily, which is more forgiving in the event that we forget at breakfast. However, antibiotics apparently make him very sleepy. Either that or being sick. Either way, he has been sleeping odd times... 4.5 hour nap here, 45 min nap there... etc. This kid is usually like a friggin clock though. 9am awake, breakfast, 11am nap till 12:30, 1 pm lunch, 3 pm nap til 4:30, 5pm dinner, 7 pm nap till 8:30, 9 pm bedtime bottle, in bed by 10:30, 11 at the latest. Rinse & repeat. It's always been that way. Even when he was eating every 3 hours, he ALWAYS slept relatively late, and always through the night. Now he's been waking up in the middle of the night (granted, when I say waking up, i mean he lays in bed and chats with himself, because until he cries, i'm not going in there. I assume he'll go back to sleep, and I'm usually right). But with that being said, He just had his "dinner" at 7:30, which would put his "nighttime bottle" at 11:30 or so. I'm hoping he stays asleep and gets a solid night's rest. For both his sake and mine. This will be the 3rd time in his life that he sleeps through a feeding.
The first time I remember being VERY panicky, but he was only a few weeks old, and ever ounce we could squeeze into him was crucial. The 2nd time was Christmas night. Poor kid was exhausted!! I slept through his bottle too, so I didn't really have the opportunity to panick. This time, I welcome the rest. I'm not feeling well, and I know damn well that he is not starving. The boy is 20 lbs and 2 oz at 7 months old. His 1 year old cousin is a whopping 22 lbs. I'm pretty sure his body can handle missing a bottle. He'll probably wake up one hungry little monster tomorrow.
Tomorrow is a day of cuddling. The hubby is going snowboarding with Joel in the am, then has a show at the skatepark, and is working till midnight. We won't see him at all. It will, however, be nice to have Lucas for an entire day by myself. We have only a couple errands to run, and then we're going to lounge in our pjs, snuggle, and watch movies. I will enjoy some nice warm hot cocoa, and Lucas will enjoy a nice room temperature bottle, and we will have a good time.
He has decided that his idea of a good time is anything that involves jumping, being tossed in the air, or being upside-down (or "up in the down" as jackjack used to say). He giggles, and giggles. And I turn to complete mush. One little baby giggle seriously melts my heart. I have heard a thousand babies giggle, but to hear MY baby giggle is by far the best feeling. I realize how cliche this all sounds, but every single day of parenthood brings new joys. That being said it brings new headaches, heartache and struggle also. But the good always seems to make the difficult a little easier to swallow.
Alright, I'm going to take this time to get some reading in before crashing. Nicholas Sparks books have been my poison as of late. Although I did take a break from them to read "Notes Left Behind" which could be the reason behind my quasi-depressed outlook co-mingling with "everyday is a blessing" outlook. I'm glad I read it, as it taught me some wonderful lessons, however, it scared the bejesus out of me. I recommend buying it, purely because the proceeds help fund cancer research.

No comments:

Post a Comment