Thursday, October 27, 2011

Thursday Treats & Yums 10/27/11

I have been searching for ways to effortlessly make roasted chicken, and I read a few recipes for slow-cookers. So today I went for it.

CrockPot "Roasted" Chicken:
You'll Need:
1 whole roasting chicken
1/2 stick butter
Minced garlic (to your liking)
Chicken Seasoning (see note below)
Crock Pot
Tin foil.

Ready for this?

  • Roll 4-5 pieces of tin foil into 3/4-1" balls & place on bottom of crock pot.
  • Throughly rinse chicken, remove innards, and pat dry.
  • Place chicken on top of foil balls
  • Melt 1/2 stick of butter in microwave, add minced garlic
  • Pour melted butter/garlic over chicken
  • Sprinkle with Chicken Seasoning
  • Turn crockpot on low
  • Wait for the popper to pop (have a meat thermometer handy too! 165° F)
  • My chicken took about 7 hours on low. I've read that you can do 1 hr on high and 3 on low. 
The chicken came out perfectly juicy, and not dry like I thought it might. My only criticism is that the skin doesn't get crispy in a slow-cooker. I used the remainder of the chicken to make (the world's simplest) chicken pot pies. Yum! 


A note about Chicken Seasoning: So, in preparation for this post I went to my trusty bottle of Chicken Seasoning to see what it actually is. I always buy the same bottle, from the same store, and have since John & I started dating. I've never checked what's in it. Here's what I found. "Ingredients: Salt, Peper, Spices (including paprika)". Ummm. Wonderful. What spices might those be?? A search of their website brought me no answers. I suppose that's what I get for buying cheap dollar-store seasoning! 

No comments:

Post a Comment